Capt. Chris’ Famous Florida Keys Smoked Fish Spread
King, Spanish and cero mackerel, along with amberjack, are excellent for the smoker and make a great base for Florida Keys Smoked Fish Spread. We also use this recipe with smoked dolphin, wahoo and cobia.
A heavy-duty mixer or food processor makes it easier to break down the fish into a spread-like consistency, but elbow grease will work just as well.
The sweet flavors added by the roasted red pepper and hoisin sauce balance the assertive flavor of the fish. Garnish with strips of red pepper or chopped parsley, and serve with thinly sliced toasted rye bread or crackers. This spread freezes exceptionally well.
- ½ pound smoked fish, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon bottled horseradish
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced roasted red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon hoisin sauce (found in the Asian section)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Freshly milled black pepper